The MSCIS program consists of 12 courses (54 quarter hour credits).
The goal of the Master of Science in Computer Information Sciences program is to develop technical computing skills in our students. Graduates will be able to identify and address technical problems as they relate to all aspects of computer Science, and will be able articulate their approach and findings to other professionals in both written and oral forms. The program emphases strong technical skill and help students develop and demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral formats.
Applicants without an undergraduate degree in CIS or equivalence will be required to complete the following courses with a grade C or better: CIS150 Introduction to Networking; CIS170 Computer Science Fundamentals; and CIS285 Introduction to Programming.
Core Component 13.5 Credits / 3 Courses
- ACC500 Financial Accounting
- BUS530 Business Technology and Research
- CIS500 Management of Information Science
Major Component 27 Credits / 6 Courses
- CIS510 Data Base Design
- CIS555 Object Oriented Analysis and Design
- CIS557 Decision Making Under Uncertainty
- CIS570 E-Business Tech. and Management
- CIS590 *Curricular Practical Training Externship in Computer Information Sciences
- CIS599 CAPSTONE: Computer Information Science (To be taken in last or next to last quarter).
*CIS590 course is elected in consultation with the program director.
Electives/Concentration Component 13.5 credits / 3 courses
- CIS530 Computer systems Architecture
- CIS580 Software Engineering Development
- CIS582 Current Issues in Software Eng.
- CIS552 Info and Comm. Technology
- CIS554 Fixed Hybrid and Wireless Net
- CIS556 Data Networking
- CIS549 Cloud Computing Environments
- CIS591 Security in Computing
- CIS594 Advanced Network Security
- CIS531 Statistics for IT Managers
- CIS540 Enterprise Architecture
- CIS589 Business Process Modeling
- CIS522 Internet Protocols
- CIS546 Digital Communication
- CIS548 Wireless Communication
Choose three from the following:
- MGT550 Project Management
- MGT551 Agile and Lean Project Management
- MGT553 Program & Portfolio Management
Geospatial Business Intelligence
- GIS580 Geospatial Business Intelligence
- GIS581 Geospatial Business Analysis and Modeling
- GIS585 Geospatial Application in Business & Management
- CIS575 Software Quality Assurance I
- CIS576 Software Quality Assurance II
- CIS577 Software Quality Audit & Compliance Management
- HCM561 Biomedical Science &Health IT
- HCM562 Health Informatics
- HCM563 Electronic Health Records
Choose any three courses from any Concentrations or General Electives
(Permission of program dean required)
- CIS583 Current Issues in Management Information Systems
- CIS592 Special Topics in Information Technology
- CIS593 Special Topics in Data Mining & Data Warehousing
- CIS596 Interactive Computer Graphics
In addition, a different course may be selected with approval of the program dean.
CPT Externship Extension (optional)
CIS590 – (1 – 6) CPT in CIS Externship Extension (0 credits; may only be taken after CIS590)